The Our Lady of Sinj Route
On April 9th, 2013, by the contract signing between the City of Sinj as a lead partner on the Croatian side, and the Agency for Regional development of the Republic of Croatia and between the Municipality of Prozor-Rama and Delegation of the European Union to BiH, implementation of the Our Lady of Sinj Route project officially commenced.
Total duration of the project is 24 months, and it will be implemented by the City of Sinj and the Prozor Rama municipality with their partners: the City of Solin, Croatian Mountain Rescue Service- Station Split, Municipality of Tomislavgrad, and the Municipality of Livno.
Implementation of the project will also be contributed by project associates: Sinj Tourist Board, the Franciscian Monastery of Our Lady of Sinj, Franciscan Monastery Rama-Šćit, Bosnia County Tourist Board and the Mountaineering Association Kamešnica Livno.
The total value of the project is 4.241.035,98 kn (558.031,05 EUR), out of which 54 % of the project budget, or 2.302.527,54 kn (302.964,15 EUR) refers to the activities of partners in the Republic of Croatia, and 46% of the project budget, or 1.938.508,44 kn (255.066,90 EUR) refers to the activities of partners in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
The share of the EU funds in the total value of the project is 83%, and the remaining 17% will be financed by the project partners.
General objective of the “Our Lady of Sinj route” project is to enhance joint tourist offers based on common cultural identity in the Croatia and Bosnia and Herzegovina cross border area in order to improve the competitiveness of the local tourism economy.
Specific goals of The Our Lady of Sinj project are:
1. Development of small scale infrastructure along the Our Lady of Sinj Route in order to enhance the attractiveness of the Croatian-BiH cross border region as a tourist destination – within which a development and installation of all necessary infrastructure will be conducted in order to develop and reconstruct the Our Lady of Sinj Route.
2. Enhancement of know-how / skills of tourist service providers and NGOs in the Croatian-BiH region in order to promote tourist offers and provide quality service to tourists, in the scope of which training programmes will be developed for tourism service providers and NGOs on Croatian- Bosnian Herzegovinian cross border area, those programmes will be implemented and evaluated upon
3. Raising the awareness among both citizens and tourists in terms of available offers, services and sites along the Our Lady of Sinj Route.
In order for this to be achieved, tourist offers, services and sites will be identified and analysed, and a joint promotional strategy will be developed in the Croatian and Bosnian and Herzegovinian cross border area along with the development of spreading of information and materials in which the project values will be clearly visible.
Citizens of this area actively participate in tourist activities, however, because current infrastructure is not suitable for cultural and tourism activities, their efforts have limited results. Through the revitalization of the Our Lady of Sinj Route, activities with the purpose of raising the awareness and education as well as the results and economic influence of the tourist activities will improve on both.
As the result of this project, the Croatian/ Bonisan/ Herzegovinian region will become more attractive as a tourist destination since it will offer a higher level of services, infrastructure and available information. Furthermore, the project will also result in an improved tourist infrastructure, higher competitiveness of tourist service providers as well as NGOs and an enhanced method of informing all guests and tourists.
Through the Our Lady of Sinj Route project, which is considered a tourist site with a high potential, we will have a small scale infrastructure completely constructed and installed. This result will provide us with the key tool for attracting tourists, support for the growth of our tourist sector and the creation of new employment opportunities.